Two Hastings fishermen, Messrs Tassell and Hook, were washed overboard and drowned in rough seas off Shoreham.
The East Well water spring in Rock-a-Nore Road had been completed, Hastings Council was informed. It was funded from the surplus collected following the burning down of 20 net shops in 1846, and was the only free fresh water in the Old Town.
New waterworks, supplied from springs, were being excavated in Newgate, Thornden and Ore woods. Also: Portable stocks were to be obtained and kept in the jail.
A Fishermen’s Tea Meeting was held at the National School Rooms, Tackleway, with 170 people present.
Start of a three-month stay by Louis Phillipe, ex-King of France, at the [Royal] Victoria Hotel. He was in exile after escaping from the 1848 French revolution in a fishing boat. In addition, the Queen of Belgium arrived on June 29, remaining until July 20.
Opening of a new chalybeate spring at 2 West Hill by Lady Helen McDowell.
Hastings Council decided that the Lower Lighthouse, close to the Cutter pub, which was nearly burnt through, should be rebuilt like the Upper Lighthouse, which was near the Caves entrance.
The first stones were laid in the Hastings railway tunnel by Miss Mackay on July 24, and in the St Leonards tunnel by Mrs Barlow on July 25.
Dr Henry Burton, son of St Leonards founder James Burton and brother of Alfred Burton, then the Mayor of Hastings, had died.
A chaplain commenced duties on the railway workings.
Mary Ann Geering was executed at Lewes for poisoning her husband at Guestling, with arsenic.
Death of Mr NP Nell, a railway worker buried by an earthfall on the Hastings-Ashford line.
Cracks appeared in railway bridge at Ore Lane [now Queens Road].
A steam flour mill was erected on the West Hill [close to Priory Road / Gordon Road junction] by Mr TN Ward of Ore.
The South Eastern Railway half-yearly report said the Hastings to Ashford line (then building) would be double tracked. Work on the Tunbridge Wells to Hastings line was also under way.
An appeal was made for money to build a church for the parish of St Mary Magdalen.
There was a flood at the Priory; workmen fled, and many rats were seen.
The Board of Guardians of the Hastings Union had decided to exclude the press from its meetings.
The Wesleyan Methodists opened a chapel for railway labourers east of the Gensing Valley.
A 40 yards earthslip in the Hastings tunnel delayed the opening of the railway line.
The News published a letter complaining about the gas monopoly in the town, resulting in consumers paying nearly twice as much as in other towns for “an article miserably bad in quality”. The News had two letters on the issue on 14 December, and on 28 December carried an editorial.
Mr W Hoof, the contractor for the Hastings-Ashford railway line, donated an empty brick kiln in his brickyard near Coghurst Gateway to be used as a chapel and school house.
An eagle was shot under the East Cliff near Pett; it weighed 8½ pounds, was three feet long and had a wingspan of 6½ feet.
The price of gas was to be reduced from eight shillings to six shillings per cu ft in 1851.
The Customs staff was cut to one chief officer, and Hastings was reduced from being a ‘port’ to a creek.