1950 Feb – Neill Cooper-Key, the Tory MP for Hastings, won his seat again in the general election. He was Hastings MP from 1945 until succeeded by fellow Tory Kenneth Warren in 1970.
1950 Feb – There was a major landslide of the cliff between Marina and West Hill Road.
1950 March 19 – The new Hastings lifeboat, named MTC, took over from the 19-year old Cyril and Lilian Bishop. The MTC was named after the wartime Mechanised (or Motor) Transport Corps. She was self-righting, with two 18hp petrol engines, and a range of about 100 miles. She was on service until August 1964, being launched 56 times and saving 55 lives. The Cyril and Lilian Bishop passed through many hands after 1950, ending up in 1993 in the Evans Marine Boatyard on the River Yonne at Migennes, south-east of Paris, where she was looked after by the owner Simon Evans. On their own initiative, two Hastings men of local fishing families, DeeDay White and John ‘Tush’ Hamilton, purchased her from Mr Evans in 2016 and brought her back to Hastings (on a lorry) on Friday 1 July. Over the following months shewas fully restored and then placed on permanent display at the junction of Harold Road and the Bourne.
1950 June 5 – The Bopeep railway tunnel reopened after being closed for repairs since November 1949.
1950 Summer – A new bandstand was built at the Central Cricket Ground.
1950 Oct 23 – The large new water reservoir, Darwell, at Mountfield, was officially opened.
1950 Mid-Nov – A survey of the dilapidated harbour by Cyril Kirkpatrick said that it needed £334,000 spent on it, and the work would take three years. The report was not implemented.
1950 Dec – The Jenny Lind pub in the High Street re-opened, having been rebuilt since it was wrecked by a bomb on 23 May 1943. It was the first war-damaged building in the Old Town to be rebuilt. It became famous in 1959 when the British heavyweight boxing champion Don Cockell took the license.
1951 Jan – Hastings Council gave the Lannon brothers £1,000 for St Leonards Pier and began demolishing and clearing it. Most had been removed by mid-1952, with the last piles still in the seabed being removed with explosives in the summer of 1953.
1951 Jan 18 – Hastings Council bought 215 acres of Major Carlisle Sayer’s estate, ie, Fairlight and Ecclesbourne Glens, part of Warren Glen, and all the cliff area from Ecclesbourne Glen stream to the start of the Firehills. The Council then owned all the 2.9 miles of cliff area between Tackleway and the east end of the Firehills, forming much of today’s Hastings Country Park.
1951 Early – The Dust Destructor (refuse incinerator) at Rock-a-Nore was demolished.
1951 April – Hastings Council decided to build 116 terraced houses at Hollington. In February 1952 102 council houses and 20 flats on the Harley Shute estate were approved by the Council.
1951 May 1 – The Hastings Permanent and the Isle of Thanet building societies merged to form the Hastings and Thanet Building Society, based at 29-31 Havelock Road.
1951 Summer – For one brief season, what claimed to be ‘the world’s smallest passenger-carrying tram’ ran a daily service between the Bathing Pool and the west end of Marina, St Leonards. The 15-inch gauge ran on the promenade, but the service only ran for a year because of a petition by local residents complaining about its noise and the way it spoiled their view of the sea. It then relocated to Rhyl and five years later to Eastbourne.
1951 May 18 – Princess Elizabeth visited the town and took part in the ceremony of handing over the deeds of the castle (purchased by the Council in September 1949 for £3,500 from the Pelham family that had owned it since 1591), and the 215 acres of the glens and cliffs just bought Major Carlisle Sayer. She also laid the foundation stone of St Johns Church, Hollington, which was dedicated on 29 September 1952.
1951 June 29 – Hastings Council gave planning permission ‘in the national interest’ for the RAF to erect 90-feet high lattice masts, six feet square, on two sites: the Fairlight Road radar station, and north of North’s Seat. In 1952 the Fairlight Road station was chosen to take part in the new anti-Soviet Rotor radar project, and it set up a technical centre on land adjoining the Fairlight Coastguard Station. A large underground bunker was built there, with a guardhouse on top. It came on line on 30 August 1952. It was redundant by 1956, but remained on care and maintenance until the early 1960s. It was sealed in 1973 and all buildings on site were demolished, although the underground bunker, with many rooms, still exists fairly intact.
1951 Nov 23 – The mayor opened the new main police station, at 4-5 Robertson Terrace. Until then it had been at the back of the town hall.
1952 April 28 – Opening of the new Elphinstone School in Parker Road.
1952 June 14 – The large Glasgow steamer Baron Douglas, carrying 7,000 tons of sugar, collided with a Yugoslav ship off Hastings and was run ashore at the Firehills to stop her sinking. Four days later three tugs and a salvage vessel towed her to Tilbury. The sugar, all lost or ruined, was the equivalent of one week’s ration for 31.4 million people.
1952 Aug 9 – The former Kinema Palace cinema in Norman Road re-opened as the Curzon, having been largely rebuilt. It closed in 1977.
1952 Autumn – Demolition of Coghurst Hall, the Brisco family seat.
1952 Nov – The Council-owned Ponswood area at Silverhill had been cleared and was ready to become an industrial estate.
1952 Nov 18 – The Old Hastings Preservation Society was launched at a meeting in the Old Town Hall Library in High Street. In 1955 a £30,000 ‘Appeal to Save Old Hastings’ was launched, ‘to restore and maintain the town’s ancient houses and churches in their original setting’.
1953 March – The first post box in Hastings with ‘ER II’ on it is installed at the Mount Road sub-post office.
1953 April 20 – Opening of the new secondary modern school for girls at Ore (later called Hillcrest). The foundation stone had been laid in November 1950.
1953 April 21 – The new Hastings automatic telephone system started. The manual exchange at Baldslow was to close after 22 years service.
1953 June 2 – The coronation of Queen Elizabeth was widely celebrated throughout the town. 9,000 children were entertained in Alexandra Park and fishermen erected a tubular arch covered with nets across the road at the fishmarket.
1953 Oct – The statue of King Harold and Edith was moved from the Museum to Grosvenor Gardens.
1953 Oct 7 – The foundation stone of the new St Leonards Parish Church in Undercliff was laid by Princess Alice. Its predecessor on the same site was destroyed by a flying bomb on 29 July 1944. The nave and vestry were re-dedicated on 8 September 1956, the tower and baptistery on 29 July 1961.
1954 March – Two pubs were to close: the Prince Albert in Rock-a-Rore Road and the Red Lion on the corner of Stone Street and Stonefield Road.
1954 March 24 – The new Silverdale School off Perth Road was officially declared open.
1954 July 1 – To meet a national regulation from July 1, all the town’s 29 zebra crossings had flashing yellow beacons installed (there had been 87 crossings, but Hastings Council did not like spending money on them, so it removed 58).
1954 July 29 – A ceremony is held at 62 Blackman Avenue, Hollington, to celebrate it being the 1,000th house built by Hastings Council since the war.
1955 Feb 19 – A new model village, designed by local personality Stan Deboo, opened in White Rock Gardens. It was forced to close in 1972 following major vandalism.
1955 Sept – The recently-retired prime minister Winston Churchill visited Hastings and took part in several events.
1955 Late Sept – The Royal Victoria Hotel was sold to Trust Hosues Ltd.
1955 Oct 3 – The crematorium at the borough cemetery was officially opened by the Earl of Verulam. The first cremation took place on 1 November: Alice CC Jones, an 83-year old widow, of Blacklands Drive.
1955 Dec 7 – The new operating theatre at St Helens Hospital, Frederick Road, was opened by Sir Max Page.
1956 Jan – The Bomb Disposal Unit of the Royal Engineers began a three-year clearing of the minefield on, and near, the beach at the bottom of Fairlight Glen.
1956 Jan – Hastings Council agreed a major £400,000 clearance scheme at Halton, replacing many private houses with blocks of council flats, despite the opposition of the residents. Demolition took place in 1958-59. The flats were built 1960-61.
1956 March 26 – The new fishmarket opened, amongst the net shops. Its predecessor (demolished early 1956) had stood opposite the bottom of the High Street. Work had started in late November 1954.
1956 May – The army’s bomb disposal unit began clearing clearing the wartime minefield at the biottom of Fairlight Glen. The work took until November 1958.
1956 May 17 – The Fishermen’s Museum, in Rock-a-Nore Road, was declared open.
1956 Late May – The Arthur Blackman health clinic at Hollington was opened by the Duke of Norfolk.
1956 Dec 15 – Fairlight School closed.
1957 Jan – The Minister of Housing and Local Government put a ban on the development of the unspoilt area of St Helens Park Estate, which became known as St Helens Woods.
1957 Early March – Hastings Council decided to give up the St Leonards Golf Club, despite protests from members.
1957 March 26 – The mayor opened the new Royston Carr & Co’s shirt factory on the Ponswood estate.
1957 June – The first diesel trains were introduced on the Hastings-Charing Cross line, gradually replacing steam over the next 12 months. The first diesel had arrived on 23 February 1957. They took over formally on Monday 9 June 1958, replacing the Schools-class locos that had been running the service since 1931. A very large new railway carriage shed was built at Bulverhythe to service the diesels.
1957 July 31 – The parliamentary bill to abolish the Hastings trolley bus system becomes law, despite wiodespread local opposition. The trolley buses had taken over from the trams in 1928.
1957 Nov 4 – A severe gale caused major damage to Hastings Pier’s main pavilion, which had to close for three months.
1957-58 – Four-storey blocks of flats were built by Hastings Council as the Down Farm Estate, Ore. These were for people rehoused following the slum clearance at Halton and elsewhere. The roads were named after distant landmarks visible from the building site.
1958 – The Hastings Downs Golf Club closed, having been based at Fishponds Farm in Barley Lane since 1924. The closure followed the decision in April 1958 by Hastings Council not to continue subsidising the club, and not to pay Major Carlisle Sayer the £20,000 he was seeking if the council insisted on purchasing it. Instead, the councillors decided to end years of debate over its future and try to buy the town’s other course, in Filsham Valley.
1958 Jan – The Old Hastings Preservation Society unsuccessfully campaigned to stop the demolition of the historic old Customs House at 85-86 High Street, next to Sinnock Square. Two months later Hastings Council gave the Society a grant of £3,250 towards the cost of restoring Pelham Crescent. After more fund-raising, work started there in September 1959.
1958 Late March – Hastings Council rejected a plan to turn the West St Leonards Bathing Pool into a caravan hotel.
1958 June – The Minister of Transport gave the go-ahead for building the main road through the Old Town, the 1930s plan which had been held up by the war. The first section of The Bourne, from the seafront to the newly built Roebuck Street, was finished by early 1959. Work started on the second section, north from Roebuck Street, in mid-1962 and was finished about a year later.
1958 Nov – The Royal Engineers completed their clearing of war-time mines from the bottom of Fairlight Glen, a project which began in early 1956 and involved cutting a roadway down the glen.
1958-59 – A line of 23 shops was built on the Queens Road side of the Cricket Ground, with seating above them facing onto the pitch.
1959 – Elva Engineering built a racing car factory in Sedlescombe Road North, opposite Ashdown House.
1959 Jan – Work was well under way in the Halton clearance scheme. 89 houses were soon to be demolished.
1959 April – Work began on demolishing all the buildings at the east end of Castle Street and redeveloping the site. A roundabout with an illuminated fountain (still there) was constructed early on, and on 4 June 1960 the mayor ceremonially switched on its lighting. By February 1961 work had largely finished on the three-storey building with flats and shops (including Argos).
1959 Jan 22 – Don Cockell, former light heavyweight boxing champion of Great Britain, gave up being the licensee of the Jenny Lind pub in the High Street, after several months in the position. He later became a pig farmer at Pevensey.
1959 Feb 2 – The tiny Snailham Halt on the Hastings-Ashford railway line closed. It was between Doleham Halt and Winchelsea.
1959 May 31 – This was the last day of the trolleybus service, after 31 years in operation. Diesel buses took over from June 1. There had been 54 years of electric traction in Hastings, from the start of trams in 1905. The service had been run since 1935 by the Maidstone and District bus company, but in August 1958 it had announced that the trolleybuses were going to be replaced in 1959 by new Atlantean buses, despite much local opposition.
1959 June 16 – What had been the semi-derelict old stables at the top of the High Street were re-opened as the Stables Theatre by Sir Ralph Richardson. The manager James Webster resigned four weeks later. The stables had been built in 1746 by John Collier, then the most powerful man in the town, for his residence, Old Hastings House, across the road. The stables remained in the Collier/Milward family until sold in 1932 to Hastings Council as a garage for the mayor’s limousine. By the early 1950s the building was nearly derelict. In 1955 the Old Hastings Preservation Society began a campaign to save the building, and work began on 1 February 1958. Until 1978 the entrance was in the High Street, but then a large extension and new entrance were built on the Bourne side.
1959 July 16 – The former town hall in the High Street, which had been both a museum and library since March 1949, re-opened as the Museum of Local History, on both floors.
1959 Sept – Work started on restoring all of Pelham Crescent.
1959 Sept 10-11 – Eighty acres of Warren Glen were destroyed in the town’s biggest fire since 1929. It was caused by a Coastguard maroon falling into the extensive gorse, a false alarm call-out of its rescue team.
1959 Dec – The old Lifeboat House opposite the Cutter pub was demolished. The seafront there was widened later, linking in with the completion of The Bourne road through the Old Town in 1963.
1960 June 4 – The mayor set in motion the illuminated fountain on the new traffic roundabout at Breeds Place.
1960 Early Nov – Heavy rain and gales combined with high tides brought severe flooding. West St Leonards was described as ‘Little Venice’.
1960 Dec 18 – A landslip carried away the cliff on which the Lovers Seat stone stood, although the ‘seat’ itself survived until slipping over the edge in early February 1961. A crane pulled it back up. The seat is now resting next to a nearby path.
1961 Early Jan – There was an extensive cliff fall at Ecclesbourne Glen following heavy rain.
1961 April – A wildlife sanctuary was being created at Fairlight following an anonymous donor’s gift of Mallydams Wood.
1961 April – The 45-year old bandstand on the parade extension of Hastings Pier was found to be in a dilapidated condition, so it was removed in May, and in June was replaced by a new moveable bandstand.
1961 June 24 – A fire destroyed four net shops in Rock-a-Nore Road and badly damaged a fifth, in rows T and U. Hastings Council replaced the four early in 1962. The fire awakened public concern about the future of all the net shops, many of which looked abandoned.
1961 Sept – Opening of an ugly large tower block, built as part of Hastings College, in Archery Road.
1962 Feb – The new St Leonards Church was completed. It replaced the church that had been destroyed by a bomb during the war.
1962 Early March – It was agreed to build a new community centre for the West Hill, on the corner of Croft Road and Bembrook. Cliff Richards drew big crowds at the Ritz Cinema, and again at the ABC Cinema in Cambridge Road in March 1963.
1962 Oct – Hastings Council accepted a £350 tender to demolish the Ecclesbourne Coastguard Station and push it over the cliff. It is believed that the last person to live there left at the end of the summer of 1963. There was still no piped water (it came from the well in the yard) and the southern building was only inches from the edge of the cliff.
1962 Dec 26 – Prolonged snowfall started arctic weather lasting into March, the coldest and longest severe winter for many years. Nine year-old Geoffrey Corder of Godwin Road died after falling through the ice on the upper Clive Vale reservoir at about 4pm on December 26. Other youngsters with him (including the author of this Chronicle) unsuccessfully tried to save him. By early January there were 10 feet high snow drifts on the Ridge. A floating ice pack was seen in Rye Bay in late January. There was still some snow on the ground in sheltered places in late March.
1963 – The Bourne (the new road through the Old Town) was completed.
1963 May – Hastings Council announced it had bought 450 acres of land comprising Fairlight Place and its farm (much of the inland part of today’s Country Park) for £90,000 from Major Alfred Carlisle Sayer. This was one of the biggest land purchases in the history of the borough. In 1951 the Major had semi-donated to the Council 215 acres comprising Fairlight and Ecclesbourne Glens and the clifftop walks. He died 19 December 1964, aged 78. The Observer said he was ‘one of the town’s great benefactors’. He sold the farm to the Council because he was ‘concerned in case the land fell into the hands of speculative developers and felt that it was in the best interests of the town that it should control this land’.
1963 June – The 11 caves at Rock-a-Nore were sprayed with an extremely strong-smelling chemical up by Hastings Council to stop ‘beatniks’ living in them. About 17 young people had recently been found sleeping in the caves, three of them suffering from scabies. Parties of beatnicks had been seen arriving at the caves with large amounts of luggage. The caves were sprayed again in mid-1964.
1963 June 6 – The Hastings fishing boat Florence Harffey RX 100 caught a 500 pound wartime bomb in its nets. It was safely exploded three-quarters of a mile out to sea, although some houses in the Old Town shook.
1963 July 11 – A double gas explosion injured 30 people and destroyed and damaged several buildings in Marine Parade.
1963 Sept – Clearance began of most of the properties in Priory Street. Hastings Council gave a mining lease for the 51 acres of land near Fairlight Church just purchased from Major Sayer to Messrs Cole and Jennings for sand quarrying.
1964 May – Hastings lifeboat station started using its first inshore inflatable rescue boat, named Mermaid, designed to cope with the rapidly increasing number of emergencies involving bathers and small boats close inshore, often in fine weather. She had two crew, was 14 feet long and had a 40hp outboard engine.
1964 June – The railway line connecting Crowhurst Station on the Hastings-Tunbridge Wells line with Sidley and Bexhill closed. The massive 17-arch viaduct over the Crowhurst marshes was demolished in 1969.
1964 June – A large new telephone exchange was to be built at the bottom of Havelock Road, it was announced. This would involve the demolition of many buildings. Work started late 1968 but took until April 1974 because of the need to drill piles 75 feet through the underlying shingle. Today it is the University Centre Hastings.
1964 Aug 3 – Thousands of mods and rockers took over the town on Bank Holiday Monday, but the police manage to keep control. This followed an appearance by the Rolling Stones on the pier on Saturday 1 August, and climaxed on the Monday.
1964 Aug 29 – The new Hastings offshore lifeboat, named Fairlight, came into service, replacing the 14-year old MTC. She was one of the new Oakley-class of boats, 37 feet long, with two 52hp diesel engines and a crew of eight. For the first time a tractor and carriage were used for launching a Hastings lifeboat. The tractor is now in the Lifeboat Museum section of the Chatham Historic Dockyard.
1964 Sept – The Grammar School moved from Nelson Road to new premises in Parkstone Road. In 1978 it was renamed the William Parker Comprehensive, after its 1619 benefactor.
1965 June 22 – Hastings Council approved a £765,000 scheme to build a new long sea sewage outfall at West St Leonards.
1965 Summer – The eyesore Regency Mansions, originally the Grand Hotel, at Verulam Place opposite the pier, were demolished. The site was left empty for many years.
1965 Oct 14 – William the Conqueror’s reputed ‘breakfast table’ stone was unveiled at its new location on the parade extension, on this, the 899th anniversary of the Battle of Hastings.
1965 Nov 8 – The four new multi-storey tower blocks of flats on Stonehouse Drive, Hollington, the first and last of their type in the town, were officially opened.
1965 Early Dec – A man who killed his wife and two children whilst on holiday in Coghurst Caravan Park was jailed for life.
1965 Dec 12 – Fire gutted the Ponda Puzzle Works in Battle Road, putting 60 people out of work.
1966 Jan – More than two years after a public inquiry held in September 1963, local residents around the Pinders/Tile Kiln area of north Clive Vale heard that they have been largely successful in stopping development there.
1966 Early – The former RAF domestic camp in Fairlight Road, with about 40 huts and a water tower, was cleared. The RAF had leased this land in 1940 as the base for radar surveillance here and close to Fairlight Coastguard station. Today it is the picnic site (also known as the Helipad).
1966 May 24 – The Triodome opened on Hastings Pier. It was a large domed and circular exhibition hall on the parade extension, housing the 247 feet long Hastings Embroidery, which had been made to celebrate the 900th anniversary of the Battle of Hastings on 14 October 1966. The Triodome took over the space used since 1961 by the moveable bandstand, which was moved to Warrior Square gardens. The Queen visited the Embroidery on 28 October. The Triodome cost about £12,000 and from 1967 was used for a variety of amusements. It is now on Brighton Pier.
1966 June – The town’s last windmill, Draper’s Mill, at Silverhill, was demolished because of its poor condition. It was built in 1866 and was last used in 1941.
1966 Aug – Summerfields School, Bohemia Road, closed as a private prep school following the purchase of the 47 acre Brisco estate by Hastings Council. Its contents were auctioned on 6 August 1966. Over the following years, the estate (from the Museum to St Pauls Road) was redeveloped as a ‘civic centre complex’, with police, fire and ambulance stations, law courts, a sports centre and some Council offices. The school was used as an extension of Tower Road School until July 1972, after which it was demolished.
1966 Late Aug – The hovercraft that had been running pleasure trips off Hastings beach broke down on the sea and had to be rescued by the lifeboat.
1966 Autumn – Council houses were being built up Harrow Lane.
1966 Oct 14 – To mark the 900th anniversary of the Battle of Hastings, there were many celebrations over the weekend of 15-16th, including a re-enactment of the battle in the fields at Battle Abbey. On October 28 the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh visited the town, viewing the pier’s Triodome and and unveiling the plaque for the newly-built College of Further Education in Archery Road. From August to December there was much vandalism in the town, consisting of slogans painted in French on many buildings and graves.
1966 Nov – The famous old Castle Hotel in Wellington Square, built 1818, was to be demolished and replaced by a Tesco supermarket, it was announced.
1966 Dec – The Bourne Baths and Washhouse were to close, decided Hastings Council.
1967 Early – Three doctors bought the old Roebuck Inn and the adjoining 26 High Street, to build Roebuck Surgery on the site.
1967 May – The Gaiety Cinema in Queens Road was redecorated and renamed the Classic.
1967 Early May – St Helens Wood was officially opened to the public, having been donated to the public by Miss Isabel Blackman, who had just been designated as the first woman honorary freeman of the borough.
1967 July 9 – The West Marina Railway Station, on the Brighton line just west of Bopeep tunnel, closed.
1967 Late Aug – Six thousand youngsters attended the music festival held at the Pilot Field in Elphinstone Road, prompting many complaints from local residents about the behaviour of the ‘flower people’.
1967 Sept – The Burton’s St Leonards Society was set up to try to stop more of the original St Leonards being lost to development.
1967 Nov 5 – Six Hastings people were killed and many injured in the Hither Green railway disaster, involving a Hastings-Charing Cross train.
1967 Late – Work started on building the Heron House office block in London Road for the Department of Health and Social Security. It was on the site of the old abattoir.
1968 Jan 1 – Hastings Borough Police Force merged with four other forces to become the new Sussex Police Force.
1968 March – The Minister of Transport, Barbara Castle, rejected plans to close the Hastings-Ashford railway line.
1968 Sept – The town’s first automatically controlled car park opened, in Cross Street, central St Leonards. The parker bought a ticket from a machine and displayed it. Two hours cost a shilling (5p).
1968 Oct – Hastings Council and the GLC agreed a long-term Town Expansion Scheme, whereby more than 18,000 Londoners would be despatched to Hastings by 1981, along with commercial and industrial premises for them to work in. Unfortunately, the people arrived but the jobs did not. Hollington was expanded to the north-west, creating a future big estate of council houses with many unemployed tenants.
1969 April – Glyne Gap gasworks closed.
1969 Mid-May – The new multi-storey car park in Priory Street was opened.
1969 June – The magnificent 17-arch railway viaduct across the Combe Haven stream was blown up. It was part of the line linking Crowhurst to Bexhill which opened in 1902, but was axed by Beeching in 1964. West Marina Station was demolished at this time.
1969 June 10 – Hastings Council agreed a municipal golf course could be built on 200 acres of Beauport Park, despite the extremely high cost. In later years it became known as the ‘real town hall’ of Hastings, where significant decisions were made out of the public eye. The Cooden Beach Hotel was seen as the ‘real town hall’ of Rother Council.
1969 June 12 – The new Summerfields ambulance station in Bohemia Road came into use. It cost £80,000. Work on it had started in February 1968.
1969 Aug – Contractors working on the new long-sea outfall at Bulverhythe dug into the 220-year old wreck of the Dutch East Indiaman Amsterdam with heavy equipment, stealing large quantities of historic material. The first full-scale archaeological survey of the wreck was carried out in March 1970.
1969 Aug 27 – The first Old Town carnival took place, because the town’s annual July carnival that year did not come to the Old Town. Organised in just over five weeks, the Old Town carnival started at Rock-a-Nore and went west as far as the fountain roundabout, and then returned via George Street, High Street and All Saints Street.
1969 Nov – A 200 ton, 100 feet long dredger was driven ashore near the Sun Lounge in Marina by a storm.
1969 Dec 30 – A large bath-house was discovered amongst the big Roman ironworks at Beauport Park by archaeologist Gerald Brodribb.
1970 April – Closure of the soft-toy factory Farnell & Co, in the historic building 42 George Street; 33 women were made redundant.
1970 May – Prime Minister Harold Wilson addressed the 700-strong National Conference of Labour Women at the White Rock.
1970 May – Opening of the new YMCA sports hall in St Pauls Road.
1970 May 4 – An ultra-modern Engineering Industry Training Centre, the first of its kind in the area, was opened at Hastings College.
1970 Late May – In the general election, Hastings has a new Tory MP, Ken Warren. His predecessor for 25 years was Sir Neill Cooper-Key.
1970 Aug – Work began on replacing the narrow masonry arch bridge over the A21 at Harrow with a concrete bridge.
1970 Aug-Sept – St Andrews Church in Queens Road was demolished. A small fragment of a mural by author Robert Tressell was rescued (now in the Museum). The church stood where Morrisons petrol station is today.
1970 Oct – A big new factory, VG Electronics, opened in Menzies Road on the Ponswood estate.
1970 Dec 12 – The new church at Fairlight Cove was dedicated.
1971 – The Vivo Foodrite supermarket was built on the site of the old Roxy Cinema at Silverhill, on the corner of Beaufort Road.
1971 Feb 25 – The new £193,000 fire brigade headquarters in Bohemia Road was opened.
1971 March – The old Glyne Gap gasworks chimney was blasted down with high explosives.
1971 April – The government officially approved the 1968 Town Expansion Scheme proposal. Londoners and industry were, in theory, to be brought to Hollington in the £23½ million 10-year scheme.
1971 April 1 – Hastings Country Park officially came into existence, under the 1968 Countryside Act. It initially comprised 512 of the 830 acres the Council owned between the Old Town, North’s Seat and Fairlight Cove.
1971 May – Work began on building a subway under the seafront at Harold Place.
1971 June – Opening of the new Co-op superstore at Silverhill.
1971 June 4 – Opening of the converted Classic Cinema (formerly the Gaiety); it had been changed into two cinemas, creating the first new cinema since 1938.
1971 July – Work started on building 330 homes at Hollington, part of the Town Expansion Scheme.
1971 July – The merger took place of the Hastings and Thanet Building Society and the Hastings and East Sussex Building Society (now part of Nationwide).
1971 Oct – In a town poll on whether Britain should join the Common Market, 77% of those who voted (11,592 out of 15,102) opposed it. But borough MP Kenneth Warren said he would carry on campaigning for entry anyway.
1971 Oct 6 – The ABC Cinema, the biggest and best cinema in Hastings, closed, having been opened in March 1938. It was demolished over the winter to make way for the new Sainsburys supermarket (now ESK). In late 1972, archaeologists found the remains of the medieval Priory on the site.
1971 Oct 20 – Opening of the wide new Harrow Bridge over the A21 at Harrow, replacing the old narrow tunnel-like bridge.
1971 Dec – FJ Parsons Ltd, the family-owned local printing company that had published the Hastings Observer for over a century, was bought out by magazine publishers Morgan-Grampian Ltd. In December 1973 they sold to Westminster Press Ltd.
1972 Early – The small old fire station at the west end of Seaside Road was demolished.
1972 Feb – Demolition of the 1877 Croft Chapel on the corner of the Croft and Croft Road to make way for 12 flats.
1972 April – The former Grammar School in Nelson Road was demolished, having stood empty since the school moved to Parkstone Road in autumn 1964.
1972 July 19 – The new Hastings police headquarters in Summerfields, Bohemia Road, costing £400,000, came into use. It replaced the small station in Robertson Terrace. The Hastings Police Division (tel: Hastings 5000) had 300 officers and covered a population of 160,000. The building was officially opened by the Duke of Norfolk that October 11. Hastings Council was then still planning to build a new ‘civic centre’ (town hall) at Summerfields, but this did not come to fruition.
1972 Aug – Castleham Farm, Hollington, was demolished as the Town Expansion Scheme got under way. Clearance of Tile Kiln Farm in Churchwood Road took place in October.
1972 Aug-Sept – The large Mastins Department Store in Breeds Place was demolished to make way for an office block (Cavendish House).
1972 Sept – The buildings at the old sand quarry near Fairlight Church were demolished, and a new road and car park were later created, part of the new Hastings Country Park.
1972 Oct – Hastings was twinned with Bethune, in northern France.
1972 Oct 22 – The last service was held in Mount Pleasant Congregational Church, on the corner of Mount Pleasant Road and Hughenden Place. It was demolished in the following months to make way for a block of flats.
1973 Jan-Feb – Summerfields House, which was a boys’ prep school from 1903 to 1966, was demolished.
1973 April-May – The Regal Cinema in London Road, opposite Pevensey Road, which had been closed for many years, was demolished in preparation for building a huge and ugly 12-storey office block there.
1973 April 28 – The top of the 65 feet high Albert Memorial clock tower, built 1862-64 in the town centre, was partly damaged by fire. The belfry and pinnacle were removed in late June after a second small fire. Unlike most residents, senior Hastings councillors and council officers did not like the Memorial because of the traffic management problems it caused, and they demolished it in late November 1973. Many people saw this as Hastings losing its symbolic heart.
1973 Sept – Opening of the new Blacklands Primary School in Freshwater Avenue.
1973 Sept 13 – Launch of the free newspaper Hastings News, the first weekly rival to the Hastings Observer for six decades. It was a low budget freesheet, originally published on Thursdays, two days before the Observer, forcing that complacent paper to try to improve its poor-quality reporting. The progressive News played an important role over th next decade in both giving voice to more liberal politics and inspiring cultural movements around the town. But it was bought by Senews in 1985, becoming part of the Observer group, although it retained its editorial independence until August 1990.
1974 April 1 – Under the Local Government Reform Act, Hastings Council had to give control of its libraries, fire brigade, highways, education and social services to East Sussex County Council. Cllr Horace Funnell became the first-ever Labour mayor of Hastings.
1974 April 24 – The new telephone exchange at the bottom of Havelock Road was opened. It replaced the one that had been upstairs at the post office in Cambridge Road since it was built in 1930. This one had taken several years to build (and cost £3.2m) because of the need to sink piles 75 feet into the underlying shingle.
1974 Autumn – Hydneye House, the Victorian mansion on the Ridge that had been a boys’ preparatory school, was demolished by East Sussex County Council to make way for the new Maplehurst School.
1975 March 31 – HB Wright, the pawnbrokers that had been at 23 George Street for 115 years, closed down.
1975 June 2 – The new law courts in Summerfields, Bohemia Road, come into use. The £600,000 building had been delayed over 2½ years by bad management and a difficult site. The courts were officially opened that October by the Lord Chief Justice, Lord Widgery, a former Recorder of Hastings.
1975 Sept – Hastings Council bought 14 acres of the Hickmans Fields site for development.
1976 – Hastings Council spent its first significant amount on repairing the 80-year old harbour arm, filling the inner gap in the wall with a concrete grill and blocks. This was found insufficient and bigger repairs were carried out in 1980. The harbour was still ownerless at this point; the Council acquired it early in the 1980s.
1976 July – Fire destroyed the big warehouse of TW Barnes, the scrap dealers, in George Street (its site is now Butlers Square).
1976 Oct – Hastings Council decided to go ahead with building a sports complex at Summerfields.
1977 Jan – Both the 120 bed Queens Hotel and the 100 bed Royal Victoria Hotel were put up for sale by the Hickmets Hotels Group, which had been in receivership for two years. The Queens was sold in January 1978 to Emma Hotels.
1977 Jan 22 – The Curzon Cinema in Norman Road closed because it was running at a loss. Its last film was Raid on Entebbe. It was left empty for many years before being taken over by Brookers, the builders’ merchants, who in 1986 opened a large shop and used the cinema hall for storage.
1977 Feb – Churchwood Primary School opened.
1977 April – The Fernbank maternity home, at 90 Old London Road, closed; cases were referred to the Buchanan Hospital.
1977 July 20 – The town’s tallest office block, the 12-storey Gundolphus House in London Road, was opened. Described by critics as monstrous and ugly, it was the south east regional headquarters of the government’s Property Services Agency which was responsible for the design of official buildings. It was on the site of the Regal Cinema and took three years to build.
1977 Sept – Jooks café and disco at the bottom of the High Street was destroyed by fire. The site of the building is still vacant.
1977 Nov – The old Hollington Junior School was demolished to make way for houses.
1978 Spring – The beach at the foot of Fairlight Glen was wrongly declared to be an ‘official naturist beach’, starting an ongoing problem of offensive behaviour by naked men which continues today.
1978 June 14 – The Queen Mother opened the St Leonards Church of England Primary School.
1978 July – Despite much local opposition, the Registrar of Friendly Societies gave the go-ahead for a merger of the Hastings and Thanet Building Society and the Anglia Building Society (now part of Nationwide).
1978 Aug 31 – The Orion Cinema in Robertson Street showed its last film, Star Wars. There had been a cinema on the first floor of 54-55 Robertson Street since 1913, in what until then was the Public Hall, built in 1859. The booksellers and stationers WM Smith, which had occupied the ground floor since c1936, took over the whole building on 1 September 1978. This left the Classic in Queens Road as the borough’s only remaining cinema. Nos 53-55 Robertson Street are now Yates’s Wine Lodge.
1978 Sept 1 – William Parker School came into official existence, being the new comprehensive school formed by the merger of Hastings Grammar School and Priory Road Secondary School. Its Parkstone Road building had been the Grammar School until then. The Priory Road buildings stayed in use. Also, the High School for Girls was renamed Helenswood from this day.
1979 Sept 29 – The town’s biggest private employer, ITT Consumer Products, which was making radios and TVs on the Ponswood estate, announced it was to close by June 1980 with the loss of 650 jobs. It had come to Hastings in 1960 as Kolster Brandes.
1979 Nov – The Regional Health Authority gave the go-ahead for a new district general hospital to be built on a 40-acre farm site on the Ridge. This was to become today’s Conquest Hospital.